507 W. Third Avenue, Suite 6A; P.O. Box 1962, Albany, Georgia 31702
The Southwest Georgia Cancer Coalition is a collaboration of 33 counties in Southwest Georgia whose vision is to build a national model of comprehensive rural cancer control. Their mission is to develop exemplary cancer related education, communications, prevention, early detection, treatment and research programs.
Diane Fletcher, Chief Executive Officer
P: (229) 312-1700; F: 229-312-1705; E: email@example.com
Communities Served: Counties served include Baker, Ben Hill, Berrien, Brooks, Calhoun, Clay, Clinch Coffee, Clinch, Colquitt, Cook, Crisp, Decatur, Dooly, Dougherty, Early, Echols, Grady, Irwin, Lanier, Lee, Lowndes, Miller, Mitchell, Quitman, Randolph, Seminole, Sumter, Terrell, Thomas, Tift, Turner, Wilcox, Worth
The 2006-2009 Strategic Plan outlines four key organizational priorities:
- Coordination of Access to Care
- Clinical and Behavioral Research
Activities are aligned with the IOM Recommended Quality Measures for Tracking Georgia’s Progress in Cancer Control and with Georgia’s State Cancer Plan.
Selected current initiatives include:
- Emory Prevention Research Center (EPRC): As EPRC’s sole community partner, SWGCC works to conduct large population-based studies focused on community-based cancer prevention and reducing health disparities.
- Community Health Navigation and Screening Program: SWGCC recently completed a pilot study in Baker County to increase cancer screening through education, a community navigator, and collaboration with a primary care practice and public health office. Emory University is now formally evaluating the project to guide future replication.
- Prostate and Colorectal Cancer Public Education Initiative: In collaboration with regional cancer centers, SWGCC held four community events targeting more than 600 African-American men.
- Ten Commandments of Good Health©: Pilot study of a novel faith-based health communication tool in collaboration with local ministers, Georgia Southern University, Mercer University and Central Georgia Cancer Coalition.
- Smoke Free Partners: 11 hospitals and a 14-county health district designated tobacco-free.
Early Detection and Screening
- Community Health Navigation and Screening Program.
Diagnosis and Staging
- Regional Tissue Bank Site: Contribute to the statewide biorepository.
Treatment and Palliation
- Regional Clinical Trials Network: In collaboration with regional providers, SWGCC provides professional and public education regarding clinical research to increase regional trials availability and participation. Serve as key liaison among clinical cancer centers.
- Determinants of Patient Dropout from Cancer Treatment study.
- Prostate Cancer Patients Quality of Life study.
- ACS Cancer Patient Navigator.
- Comprehensive Health Enhancement and Support Services (CHESS): Pilot study with the University of Wisconsin offering online information and coping support to caregivers of cancer patients.
- Community Cancer Support Grants: Proceeds from local community fundraiser provides grants to groups providing direct support for cancer patients, including nutritional supplements, medication costs, transportation, lodging, wigs, prosthetics and other needs.
Data and Metrics
- South Georgia Cancer Assessment Project: Collaborative effort with Southeast Georgia Cancer Alliance, Central Georgia Cancer Coalition, Georgia Southern University, Mercer University, and Armstrong Atlantic State University to collect, disseminate and report county-specific health status data.
- Georgia Cancer Study (Cohort Study): First rural pilot site for groundbreaking research to monitor long-term cancer risk factors in hundreds of Southwest Georgians.
Professional (Provider) Education
- Professional organization chapters: Establishing local affiliates to provide education, promote high standards, and create professional networks:
- Southern Georgia Evaluation Association (SGEA) (in partnership with EPRC)
- Association of Clinical Research Professionals (ACRP)
- Regional Videoconferencing Network: Partnership with regional cancer centers, Darton College and rural hospitals to provide regional videoconferencing, professional education and clinical consultation.
- Website: www.swgacancer.org
- Presentations: Regional, statewide and national.
- Annual Regional Cancer Symposium (Co-sponsored with SOWEGA-AHEC).
- Students: Medical, public health, nursing, cancer registry, physician assistant, and others.
Statewide Initiatives in which SWGCC is involved include:
- Advocacy for community-based cancer control addressing regional needs.
- Regional Cancer Coalitions of Excellence Council.
- GRACE (Georgia's Response to Health Disparities by Addressing Cultural Competence and Equity in Healthcare).
- Health Promotion Advisory Board.
- Community Health Worker Network Steering Committee.
- Georgia Tobacco Disparities Plan Workgroup.
- 2007 Georgia State Cancer Plan.
- Archbold Medical Center
- Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital
- South Georgia Medical Center
- Tift Regional Medical Center
- Crisp Regional Medical Center
- Sumter Regional Hospital
- Colquitt Regional Medical Center
- American Cancer Society
- Local Public Health Departments
- Georgia Department of Human Resources
- Georgia Department of Community Health
- Georgia Cancer Coalition
- Southwest Georgia Area Health Education Center
- Emory University
- Darton College
- Albany State University
- Valdosta State University
- Local Industry and Businesses
- Faith-based Organizations
- Area Cancer Survivors
- Area Technical Colleges
- Georgia Southern University
- Medical College of Georgia
- Mercer University
- Armstrong Atlantic State University
- Georgia State University
- Council of Regional Cancer Coalitions of Georgia