633 19th Street Columbus, GA 31901
The West Central Health District brings together health care professionals, physicians, multidisciplinary cancer care providers, hospitals, county health departments, leading non-profit organizations, faith communities, businesses, and cancer survivors and concerned citizens throughout a ten-county region in West Central Georgia to save lives in the future from cancer by focusing on cancer prevention, education, early detection efforts and access to the best care possible.
Cheryl A. Johnson, Executive Director
P: (706) 660-1914, ext. 12; F: (706) 660-1829; E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Website: "under construction"
Counties served include: Muscogee, Chattahoochee, Harris, Marion, Meriwether, Schley, Stewart, Talbotton, Taylor, Webster
- Prevention and Screening (early detection, diagnosis)
- Breast Health Connection – a cancer screening initiative providing breast cancer screening to underserved, uninsured or underinsured women through the region.
- Caring for Caregivers – Funded by a grant from the Johnson & Johnson, Rosalyn Carter Foundation, this initiative provides cancer prevention education and screening, nutrition education and end-of-life education for caregivers in rural communities. The partner ship includes WCGCC, Georgia Cooperative Extension, and Columbus Hospice.
- Prostate Cancer Connection – a prostate cancer screening initiative funded through a partnership with Morehouse School of Medicine. The initiative has as its target population, African American men in underserved communities, and high-risk males.
- Colorectal and prostate cancer education services
- Operation Choose Health II – Tobacco use prevention and cessation initiative for low-income populations in housing authority apartment complexes in the service area
- Patient Navigation Services – Cancer Access Coordinator, oncology social worker navigates cancer patients through multiple community and hospital systems
- Community Health Advisor Program – Identifies natural helpers to provide cancer information and community navigation services at the grass roots level
- Columbus Regional Hospital
- Columbus Public Health Department
- St. Francis Hospital
- John B. Amos Cancer Center
- Columbus State University
- Columbus Technical College
- Valley Health Clinic
- Family Connection Collaboratives in area counties
- Three Rivers AHEC